Saturday, March 27, 2010

A lesson in Viticulture

When Jeff, Katharine and I returned to Budapest after an experience out in the country, we quickly realized that it would be the most clear night in Budapest. We made plans to go to the castle district so that we could overlook the city at night. My brilliant plan was to introduce Katharine to something that Hungarians take a LOT of pride in: their wine.
With the help of some very friendly shop clerks (I gave them three specifications: magyar (Hungarian), vörös (red) and fél-édes (semi-sweet) and they provided me with exactly what I needed!), I found a most delicious wine. When we were overlooking the city, it occured to me that I know very little about this product of which Hungarians are so proud. So... I did a little research. Allow me to enlighten you.

Grape vines were introduced to this area by the Romans. When St. Stephen founded the Kingdom of Hungary in 1000AD, Christianity began to spread. With it, the monasteries spread the use of wine in popular culture. Before they knew it, Hungarian vines were being exported! Sadly, when the Turks invaded, people fled and many of the vineyards went uncultivated. About a hundred years later, fearing an attack from Turks, the grapes were left unharvested until after rot had set in. In the spring, the wine that came from these grapes was of incomparable value. This is the phenomenon known as "Noble Rot."
Today, there are 22 different "wine regions" and each of these regions are known for producing different types of wine. For example:
Sopron has elegant reds,
Pécs has mainly whites,
Szekszárd has spiced, full-bodied reds,
Eger is famous for both full-bodied whites and an elegant red blend known as "Bull's Blood,"
and Tokaj has the "Noble Rot" variety.
The following wine cellars are found mostly in the Tokaj region. They are all built into the ground, where temps are regulated and mold/fungus is allowed to grow so that the wine can ferment to the highest quality.

I can honestly say I wasn't much of a wine drinker before arriving here. I can also say that I have learned to appreciate wines in a new light with all the history, pride and variety available. So, next time you're in the mood for a wine, try a bottle from Hungary. It'll be a lot more expensive than I'm paying, but it'll be worth it, I promise!



various wine cellars throughout Northern Hungary





these LARGE wine cellars are in Tokaj - "Vinum Regum, Rex Vinorum" (Wine of Kings, King of Wines)

No comments: