Thursday, April 5, 2012

Slow Down

As I was recounting my road trip from last year with a few different friends, one common theme came up: "I wish I'd slowed down."

Yes, I've been to Oklahoma City, OK.  Yes, I've been to Laughlin, NV and Needles, CA.  Yes, I've been to Phoenix, AZ.  Yes, I've been to Houston, TX.  However... I couldn't tell you about any of them except for the traffic.

I wish I could go back and actually spend time getting to know even just one thing about each city.  I was in too much of a hurry to get to know anything except the friends that lived in these cities... or the back of my eyelids.

My encouragement for anyone on a journey is to slow down.  Take a day or two to rest and enjoy the sights along your journey.  Those small moments won't really deter you from getting to your destination, but they will make the journey more fun and enjoyable.  Plus, you won't have the regret of "I wish I'd done this or that."

So, next time you see a road sign for "The World's Largest Rocking Chair" (which is one of the side trips I DID take), pull off.  It may seem silly, but I know that on the inside you were wishing you could stop.  Do it.

No comments: