Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Picture Post!

These are my favorite kinds of posts!  These are the posts where I get to tell you about my life through random pictures I've taken throughout the last few weeks.  Check it out!

First up: NYC Food.  From pizza to salads, this fat chick is in HEAVEN... or at least the closest thing to it on earth as far as food is concerned.  I already loved eating pizza, but here I have had to crack down on it.  Not only is it sooo good, it is so bad for me and so expensive when you're an intern.  Not pictured is the Ralph's Italian Ice located just down the street from me... oh yeah.

I have a couple photo updates on my apartment.  First: I have a door!  It's a sliding door and works very well.  There as still a few "windows" which allow for sunlight (my room has no windows), which lets me know that morning has arrived... but it does block a little bit more noise and light and allows for a "closing off" which my personality type desires at times.
and Tooki has gone to a permanent home.  This was one of the last moments I spent with her while I was home on a lunch break.  Maybe I'll think about fostering other cats in the future because it was really a neat thing to do.
 

The heat.  After June's rain came July's heat.  On one particularly hot day, this happened.  I couldn't help but smile at the fact that the kids were going to LOVE that!

I've done a little sightseeing.  Not a lot, but a little.  Here I am walking down 5th Avenue.
This the Empire State Building from below.
Check out the FDNY boat spewing its guts all over the bay!
 What a beautiful full moon over Brooklyn!
and Manhattan by night from the Staten Island Ferry.
This is the famous "5 Pointz Building" - it's a building that allows graffiti artists to work their magic on its walls.  There are some BEAUTIFUL pieces... and it's always changing, so it's never the same when you visit.

On a Monday, not too long ago, there was a free concert put on by a group from Texas for our Soup Kitchen clients.  We're not normally open on Mondays (usually only Tuesday and Thursday), so this was a double treat for them!  Lunch and a show!
 
We at Project Hospitality sure do like to eat and get things accomplished at the same time.  This is what we call a "Community Dinner."  They happen once a month at a local church.  At this particular one, we were meeting the new police chief and doing a Q&A with him.

This is a sign that is in the park across the street from the PH offices... and the church mentioned above... and about 2 blocks from my apartment.  I think it mostly speaks for itself, but a background tidbit is that the old Dutch Boy paint factory used to be down the street.

Families are still recovering and rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy.  This family/home has made it clear that they're not going to move because of the storm - they are staying and recreating life where they used to enjoy it.
 

Speaking of recovery from the storm, this little gem has reopened.  The Boardwalk was destroyed by Sandy, but it was able to be reopened in the beginning of August.  Every Tuesday night, I join a walking group and we walk the 2-ish miles along the ocean in the evening breeze.  It's wonderful!

This is one of my favorite pictures of late.  It's been touched up by Instagram, but it's me - working - one the beach - in front of the Secret Service vehicle.  Yes, President Obama touched this car... and all I was doing was passing out volunteering flyers and food pantry directories at National Night Out.  #sospecial

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love all the pics! What a great adventure you are living. :D