Saturday, October 5, 2013

Silke kommst!

Let's travel back in time, shall we?  Let's transport back to July 2010, when I was 27 years old and crossing oceans for freedom and adventure.  On July 15th and 16th, I said "goodbye" to two people I truly wondered if I would ever see again... and it broke my heart.  Silke and Silvia and I had bonded so much in one year, we had become more than flatmates and bordered on sisters.  It was a sad day when we parted.

Fast forward to August 2013.  Silke, along with her boyfriend, Christian, and her best friend Alex traveled to Toronto, Canada for a the world champion ultimate frisbee tournaments.  Because they were going to be here, they decided to take a major road trip along the east coast.  The three of them rented a car and drove across part of Canada, then through the state of New York, over to Boston and back into NYC.  They hiked through pouring rain and drove through beautiful days.  They camped in campgrounds and along the roadside.  They pretty much had the great American roadtrip.

To top it all off - they were coming to NYC.  The best part?  I live in NYC now.  Woo-hoo!  It couldn't have worked out better!

On Monday night, they drove into Staten Island and found my apartment without problem.  It was a surreal moment when Silke and I were reunited after 3 years.  Our first step was to see what had only been seen in books - The Statue of Liberty.  We drove along the terrace and hopped on the Staten Island Ferry.  As Alex called it, it was a "not real minute."  It really didn't seem like it was real, but as we took the ferry back across the bay and saw the statue lit up against a clear night's sky, it also seemed perfect and wonderful... and as though the world isn't really so big after all.

The next day, I had a very full day of work, so I couldn't hang out with them at all - but they were happy to experience public transit and Manhattan.  As we all returned that evening, it was so good to just share stories.

And... just like that, they were gone.  The next morning, I had to leave early to work at El Centro and they left around 9a to begin their long drive back to Toronto.

Of course, I'll leave you with pictures... but another surreal moment to share.  As I wrote most of this, I drank hot tea - a ritual of evenings in Hungary.  :)



No comments: