Monday, August 23, 2010

Things I miss...

After being home for more than a month, I've started making mental lists of things I miss about life in Hungary. Enjoy.

* my roommates - i nearly cried at church in the morning as I realized that i don't know when I'll see them again, and they grew on me like little sisters...
* my city - walking out the door and seeing Parlament, along the river, the castle across the river, the islands, the public transport
* St. Columba's Church - the puppets, the social time (with CAFFEINATED coffee), the after-church meals that were always so yummy!, the leadership that genuinely asked how I was doing and accepted me into their family as though I'd been there forever
* speaking Hungarian. I miss this a lot more than I thought I would.
* soup at every lunch. vajkrém. slicing my own bread (that's not shaped like a square... and THICK pieces of soft, chewy goodness). ketchup chips. 3-in-1 instant coffee. espresso everywhere.
* public transport - in Budapest and throughout Europe in general. we tell people that we are an independent country, but yet I def. felt more independent while living in Europe. I understand that those are two different meanings of the word, but still... i can't help but put the two side-by-side.

*sigh*

someday I hope to go back, that's all I gotta say right now.

2 comments:

Rev. Emily E. Ewing said...

hey! i miss speaking slovak, so we could skype and you could speak hungarian to me, (i would understand a bit...egan...nic...pohar...macka...) and i could speak slovak to you, and then we would get our fill!!!

Silvia said...

Oh Trazy, I red it only now...I'm missing a lot of stuff as well, I'm missing you as a room/flat-mate (and I understood how much is not easy to get along with somebody. I don't know how it happened with me you and Silke! Because Alkotmany utca for me was just "home" and now in Venice is my flat, are my flat-mates but it's just not my family how it was before with you) and as a friend, I miss our talk at the balcony and you coffein-addiction and so so EVERYTHING.
With love, Silvia.