Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hungarian Food and an Update

Today I'm making a Hungarian dish for a 4-H international dinner. It's Cabbage Pasta and about the easiest thing ever to make for a huge crowd. If you don't have anything to do, stop by the Ionia High School tonight from 5-7p. It's a donation for entrance, and all donations go toward Heifer International. HELP THE 4-H KIDS BUY A COW!!!

In other news, I start working on Thursday. I was invited back to my old job at Multiband. It's not exactly what I want to do with my life, but it's good hours, I'm familiar with the place/people/job and it comes with insurance in a few months. I would LOVE to have my Saturdays free, so I'm still keeping my options open.

Also, Ang and I are looking at apartments. I am hoping to call one of the landlords tonight and tell him "we'll take it!" Just waiting until a reasonable hour (since I think 8:40 is waaay too early to call anyone).

...

Looking back on my year, I was thinking about ways that I grew... and someone asked what skills I could take back to my job. For Multiband, I bring back Hungarian because it's in high demand (just kidding!). For youth work, I bring back the knowledge of cross-culture ministry and the experience of working with teens in Hungary who were Hungarian and many other nationalities. Also, some bridging the cultural gap experience working with the American teens that came and the Hungarian/Iraqi/Kosovo(an?) teens that helped at the Day camp.

I also picked up some experience working with elementary kids (at the school and tanoda) and even PRE-PRESCHOOL! Woah! That's crazy coming from someone who's only changed one diaper in her life :P
And, I taught English. This could be extremely useful in the future, including helping me realize that I might like to take a few TESOL courses when I'm back in school.

And... many of you may have heard my dream: to have a place in an area that's doing cross-cultural ministry that welcomes groups on a regular basis (like a remodeled church or retreat center). The original dream was to do this along the USA/Mexico border, but this year has even expanded this :) Well, not only did I get a lot of experience hosting individuals, I even hosted a work team (not in my apartment, but in Budapest) from Ohio. One step closer, friends... one step closer.

No comments: