Friday, July 23, 2010

Life since I've been home...

trazy lyn richter.
you have been a true gift from god this year. thank you for the place you have had in my life. sitting at your kitchen table talking about whatever was necessary, countless nights spent in your flat, multiple trips to the airport, a tour guide for budapest, so many things this year will stick with me even as i go from here. my life has been better because you are in it and i hope that you know (both in your head and in your heart) that whenever you are anywhere near me, you will have somewhere to sleep and something to eat.

as you go "home" you will be in my prayers. i don't know what you came here with and how you've changed, but i do know (some of) what you have. you have love. love for others and for god's creation. you have the gift of generous hospitality for all who come to your door looking for a place to lay their heads and some food to eat. you also have a way with words. though it may be hard to articulate exactly how you feel, what you experience, you are able to articulate a LOT in ways that can help others understand and provoke them to deeper thinking.

thank you. please come to chicago some time. don't forget to breathe. don't ever be sorry for crying; it's about the most honest thing you can do.
god's peace and blessings,
šťastnu cestu,
emily



*~*~*

I'm sorry. I've been home since July 15th. The circumstances regarding my return were all kept secret for various reasons and if I offended any of you by not disclosing details, I am sorry.
Our flights were good and despite a little delay at Chicago O'Hare, we were home in good spirits though tired. Families met us at the airport and then some most wonderful friends were waiting at Wendy's to welcome me home. Thank you to Taco Bell for providing me delicious goodness en route back to my parents' house.

July 16th was the wedding. The beautiful Jane James and handsome Nick Claus were married that evening. I wasn't supposed to be able to make it. Nick and Jane's mom knew that I was coming, but all details were kept secret to Jane. I do believe she had absolutely NO idea and the joy that came from this surprise is soemthing I pray I'll never forget. Mad props to Mike for taking the time to be my "date" and allow me to crash on his couch that night.

July 17th was cell phone shopping and other random errands. This last year, I've been using a cell phone from the 1800's. I have a touch screen now !? which means I will probably "pocket dial" you all at some point. And, since I can't find my old phone, I'm in the process of inputting everyone's number as they call me. So, why don't you text me with your name so that I can get your number?

July 18th was a quiet Sunday. I did nothing. It was good.

July 19th was high speed internet and coffee at an Ionia café. It was nice to do some things that require the high speed finally (my parents have dial-up!). Because my mother was there with a 4-H Group, it involved saying "hello" to many of her friends which is a good step toward how my end of July will be overwhelmed. We also came home and had AMERICAN BURGERS (that don't involve a box or wrapper of any sort!) Afterwards, we participated in a clean-up for the 4-H buildings that will be needed at the Ionia Free Fair.

July 20th was a fairly quiet day filled with farmers' market, meat market and visiting my brother and sister-in-law.

July 21st was a job interview and then helping with the judging of the 4-H stuff at the Ionia Free Fair. It was fun and interesting to be on the other side of things.

Yesterday was a completely LAZY day. I don't think I changed out of my pajamas until dinner time just because I had nothing to do and no way to get anywhere on my own. Being here, in Saranac, without a car and without a way to get anywhere without my mom is driving me nuts. In Budapest, I ran my schedule - I did things on my own terms. Here, I can't. I'm stuck here with nothing to do but sit on dial-up internet and wait for friends who end up ditching plans. Ughi.

Today I'm finally able to access some high speed internet and get some things done, but i'm still not on my own time. My mom's sitting across from me and will be there waiting for me until I'm ready to go.

Okay. Sorry this sounds like a rant... and it is. After living in a city of over 3 million people, I've been jailed in a village with less than 2,000.

must. get. out.

Tomorrow we begin our road trip.
Baldwin, MI to see my grandfather and great aunt.
Then up to Northern Wisconsin to see my sister and the Otterness'.
A break from village life will be good, but I am also looking forward to Thursday, when I will be back into a life that's FAR more my thing.



In other news, this blog will end on September 1st and then I'll figure out the next step. I like the idea of having a themed blog, so maybe I will take some suggestions from you in the meantime. Let me know if you have any ideas. Cheers, mates!

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

I just had to click all of the reactions :]

Rev. Emily E. Ewing said...

:)

Jane said...

It was a complete surprise to me! A WONDERFUL surprise!!! While I never had a clue you would be coming to my wedding, a few nights prior to the wedding I had a dream where I was walking down the church isle with Nick (after the ceremony was complete) and I looked up and saw you sitting in the pews! How weird is that?!
Let's please, please, please hang out soon! Sorry we haven't had a chance to do so before but the big move was soooo tiring. Let me know when you have time! <3