Saturday, November 23, 2013

Promotion!

So, perhaps this is the post for which everyone is waiting.  I'm sorry to keep it so long, but I truly wanted to transition and transition to the best of my ability without misleading anyone toward thinking that I hate my job or love my job if in fact it were the opposite.

I am still transitioning, but that's okay.

You see, five weeks ago, I was the missions intern at Project Hospitality.  I was the "go to" gal for any project under the community outreach department.  It was a great position and I am every so grateful for that opportunity.  I learned a lot and I met a lot of people.  I took on new projects and built them.  I took on old projects and fixed them (or attempted to do so).  I could shred paper, lick envelopes and write support letters.  I maintained databases of churches, school and food pantries on Staten Island.  I did whatever needed to be done and to the best of my ability.  I may not have always been happy, but I knew there was a reason that I was there and my hope was to maintain my joy no matter what.  They say good things come to those who wait - I want to change the last word to "persevere."

It is kind of like a dream... intern to middle management.  No one makes that jump.  There is only one way this happened and I believe it to be divine appointment.  No one BUT God could have arranged this.  I thank Him for it everyday, even on extremely hard days like yesterday. 

In the first 20 minutes, I received no fewer than 20 emails and 10 phone calls... all about turkeys.  A lot of turkeys came in yesterday... and a lot of turkeys went out to families who need them.  It's a lot of work and it's such good work and at the end of the day, I know I've helped a lot of people.

So, what do I do when I'm not passing out turkeys?  Well, first of all, I oversee two programs: Food and Nutrition Services for those living with HIV and AIDS... and Emergency Food pantry and soup kitchen.  The programs include 6 full-time staff and several full-time volunteers.  We run programs 6 days every week.  We feed hundreds of people every week, especially now that food stamps have been significantly cut.  We serve anyone who walks through our doors that needs food.  We not only offer canned goods and boxed shelf-stable things, we also give frozen meats and fresh fruits and veggies when they're available.  We try to provide enough food for 3 days.  We cook and/or provide food for other programs within the agency.

Like I said, it's good work and I am so blessed!

No comments: