Saturday, September 6, 2014

Hunger Action Month - Day 1

For the next month, I have committed to posting on Facebook about Hunger Action Month.  I want to also share these posts here for those who may not have Facebook or may have missed the posts.  I have some catching up to do, so I hope you won't mind multiple posts in one day, but here you go!



September is Hunger Action Month. Each day this month, I'm going to post about hunger and issues surrounding it. Not only because it's my current career, but also because it's a basic human right to have access to food.


Today, I ate. I had cereal for breakfast. Not a name brand, but similar to honey nut cheerios and cold milk. I had Doritos topped with shredded mozzarella cheese melted in the microwave. My boyfriend and I went out for froyo. We made a delicious dinner ...of marinated chicken breast and carmelized broccoli.
Every day, my program feeds people who simply don't have access to anything I ate today. We only give out UHT milk (shelf-stable), never chips, never cheese, never chicken breast (unless donated) and broccoli? Yeah right. Forget the marinades, the oils, the salt... and in a city in which 1.4 million people RELY on food pantries and soup kitchens, i cannot imagine not having access to the food I ate today. Can you?
Can I challenge you? Take a look at your pantries. Think about something you think would be a treat for people in hard times - oil, flour, seasonings, frozen meats, minute rice, good cold and hot cereals, etc. Next time you purchase it, purchase an extra to donate to your local food pantry. It could be something as simple as a head of broccoli, but it could make someone's day.

No comments: