Wednesday, February 17, 2010

placement update, lenten challenge and the Mangalica Fesztivál

Well, I have a short update and then a long post of pictures.
Today I got an answer of sorts. For the next two weeks, I'll be in the Önkéntes Diakóniai Év office, helping with their selection event planning. Then, I'll get to go to their interview/selection event during the last weekend of February. It's a lot of office work, but it's fun and stuff I'm good at. Then, when that's finished, I'll start another placement. Stay tuned, folks :)

Also, the season of Lent is upon us. This year, as many of you are giving up something, I have made the decision to give up negativity. I am taking part in a devotional series called "40 Days from Negativity" hosted by a pastor friend of mine. You can check it out for yourself here.

Happy Ash Wednesday and may YOU encounter God, His Beloved Son and the Spirit within yourself this Lenten season.

*~*~*
February 5-7 hosted an interesting festival in Budapest - the Mangalica Festival. Mangalica is a type of pig and so this festival, as you could imagine, centered around a LOT of meat, music and palinka (Hungarian brandy with an amazingly high alcohol content). On Saturday, I read the schedule to find a band called "Fel a Kalappel" (top with the hat), which was labeled as playing "ethnofunk." Not knowing exactly what "ethnofunk" means, I decided I would head to the festival around the time that they'd be performing and find out. Matt, having nothing better to do, graciously joined me in the adventure.

The festival was held in the city park (Városliget) at the Vajdahunyad Vár (a castle replica that I wrote about here. this is the market as we approached...


look at all that sausage!


grilling up some pig!


pretty sure this guy goes everywhere - him and his hard, nasty tasting pretzels. he's probably wherever you are today as well!


Okay, so any explanation that I can give will not do this band ANY justice. the program said "ethnofunk". I'm pretty sure Matt and I wandered up as they were singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit"... they followed up with such songs as "Burning Ring of Fire", "Billie Jean", "These Boots (Are Made For Walking)" and other popular karaoke songs from the states. Add to it that they were REALLY not the greatest musicians (as a band, the drummer and lead guitar guy had skills ... while the vocalist/non-existent bass player and back-up vocalist/tambourine man had anything but skills). Add to THAT the fact that they really didn't know all the English lyrics and you have the hilarity that Matt and I found. Nothing ethnic. Nothing funky, unless you mean an odor that the band gave off to your ears :P


and what festival would be complete without a pony?!

No comments: