Thursday, May 24, 2012

New-found Enjoyment

Please take your seat before I make the next big announcement.  You're going to want to be sitting down, I promise.

I've started running.



Take a few deep breaths because I know it's a lot to take in.  I'm still in shock myself.  However, Jane and I signed up ourselves and significant others for a 5K (http://www.thecolorrun.com) in August and decided that we can do that.  We started out by doing some walking at the GVSU fieldhouse facility and then started walking outside this summer at a park in Comstock Park.
On Monday, after a canceled walk in Comstock Park, I decided that it was time I tried to go out by myself.  I was a little worried about being out on a trail alone with headphones in (I think I've watched a few too many Law & Order episodes), so I was probably over-cautious and kept looking over my shoulder (which I will blame for my slowness :P), but that will probably become more familiar in time.

The trail is about 1.2 miles (or 1.9 km) and I do one pass, which puts me at about 2.4 miles or 3.8 km.  It's not overly long, but believe me, it's enough for me right now.
On Monday (day 1) - It took me about 50 minutes and I ran 6 minutes.  Apparently when I'm done running and walk for a while, I walk reeeaaalllllly slow.
On Wednesday (day 2) - It took me about 45 minutes and I ran 8 minutes.  There's already been an improvement!

I'll be going out again on Saturday morning with Mr. Eric, so not sure what that will look like but I find myself honestly enjoying it.

No comments: