Sunday, September 13, 2009

állatok Magyarországan (animals in Hungary)

it's Sunday in Hungary. today we are doing: nothing... except church at 2p. 2p is my kind of church service! it's the best of both worlds: sleeping in and worshipping. I must bring this idea to Home Acres! At any rate, it means i'm just sitting in my room, enjoying music with Kristy, uploading pictures and updating my blog.

Yesterday we made a trip into the city and among other adventures (with pictures and stories to come, i promise), we found the only open pharmacy in the city. You can only get good meds from a pharmacy and like pharmacies in the US, you need a prescription. However, Sophie told me to cough a lot in front of the pharmacist. Not a problem whatsoever. I just had to stand there and I was certain to cough out a lung or two. Turns out, the pharmacist was feeling nice, and feeling bad for the American with the bad cough, so we got some meds. Yay!
then, in my poor translating, I took 2 pills at one time. BAD IDEA. the instructions actually said to only take 1 pill at a time every three - four hours. good thing I am in language school! anyhow, I have not noticed much difference, but hopefully once i start taking them correctly, it will get better.

...

so, some of you may know my dislike for creepy, crawly critters and even asked several times: "How are you going to survive in Hungary?" well, I have an answer for you today. I just try not to look.

The shower in Sarszentlörinz had, on any given day, at least 5 spiders in it. Yes, I counted each time. and Yes, I know they were plotting my demise. when we arrived in Monoszló, we met this creepy crawly thing on our ceiling. ewwww!!!!!!!!!! i still get shivers thinking about it.



the other fun thing that we have learned is about the animals. there are no skunks in Hungary, which is nice. However, we met our first hedgehog (sün) friend (barát) exploring the ground outside our home. Turns out, Roma often eat hedgehogs. Interesting... I'll let ya know if I ever try it, but chances are that I won't have that opportunity.

No comments: