Monday, April 12, 2010

A couple prayer requests

* Tonight I said goodbye to one of my roommates, Silke. It's not a permanent 'goodbye', but she got on a train to go to Germany. I came home from my travels to find her in a temporary cast and bouncing around our flat with the help of crutches. As best I can translate, it is probably her ACL that was torn during a frisbee tournament (she plays Ultimate Frisbee). She's headed back to Germany for an MRI and if surgery is needed, she'll have that done there, where she can rest and recover with her family. However, she could be gone for 2 weeks or 2 months... Pray for healing, wisdom and a swift recovery for Silke.

* Andrea was thinking about going home. This hasn't been an easy year for anyone, but Andrea has had a hard time at her work. Finally, she called them the week before Easter and told them that she couldn't go back to work there. She told us that she's going home for Easter and isn't sure she wanted to come back. However, she came back (yay!) but still needs to find a new place to work. Pray for a smooth transition and an open mind and heart for Andrea.

* the many volunteers here (in Hungary and Slovakia). I had the opportunity to travel and hang out with three volunteers in Slovakia and they each voiced frustrations and pain that they're going through. Each volunteer is being faced with a great number of questions: "What do I do with the time left here?" "Did I accomplish anything this year?" "Why did I come?" "What do I do when I get home?" "What is this year supposed to mean to me?" "How do I keep going here, while preparing to go home?" ... I feel so blessed to at least have some of the questions about the future answered for me. While I'm not sure where I'll stay, I do know that I have at least one job to go back to. I also know that there are some 'higher ups' in the other company I worked for that are trying to get me back in there. I could possibly step right back in to the routine I found myself last June. Not a bad thing at all and I know that when volunteers express stress about this, I have nothing to stress about. However, being a bit older... or being a good listener... or maybe not being stressed myself, lead to a lot of people confiding in me. There are struggles that are very very real that I wish I could give advice for, but I can't. God has those answers that I don't have, so I just ask that you pray for those who are faced with uncertainty and inner struggles. It's hard being away from home and making these decisions or evaluating your situation.

No comments: