Monday, April 26, 2010

How can you wrap your mind around some things?

Many of you may start to realize that I haven't talked a lot about my visit to Auschwitz/Birkenau. It's not because I didn't take pictures, because I did. It's not because I don't want to talk about it, because I will... at some point. However, there are some things in life which cannot be immediately digested and discussed and processed as quickly as surface level experiences. There are things that tug at your heart for weeks and months.

At which point do I feel like I can discuss things publicly? When I have fully processed them myself.

With that being said, I'm home from the Ukraine. There are a lot of things that I saw that won't be immediately discussed here because I'm still processing, still trying to figure out my reaction. So, instead of discussing, here are some really random pictures.

*~*~*

This is a Hungarian cemetary. Take note of the way graves are marked in cement above ground. Obviously not all of their casket is above ground, but you can definitely see each body's space. Also, note the boxes. I'm ASSUMING these are for those cremated or for bodies that were unrecoverable. Also, take note of the amount of decoration on both types of remembrance plots. So pretty!


Picture this: land in Krakow, Poland after 7 hour bus ride. We're hungry. We wee a place that's advertising food and it looks good. I see a cheeseburger on the menu, but I speak NO Polish. The lady at the window speaks NO English. This is what I got. A cheeseburger with coleslaw on it. Honestly, it wasn't bad.


Hehe... "Enter and your own risk." Nope. "Enter on your own risk." Nope. "Enter at your own risk." oh! Got it now!


Click on this one to make it bigger. Just days after the Polish president died in a plane crash, the world mourned with Poland over another tragedy. During World War 2, the Katyn Forest in Russia became the sight of a massacre of Polish officers and other citizens in an attempt to eliminate entirely the educated population of Poland. Hungary joined Poland in their mourning one Saturday and this was the scene at the Parliament.


... sometimes you just need to stop and appreciate the beauty that a few tulips can bring ... (Krakow, Poland)

No comments: