Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Házamegyek Budapestre (I'm going home to Budapest)

After working hard, long days at the camp... and having some long, hot days of relaxation... I'm going back to Budapest, probably tonight.
I have a crap ton of laundry to do and I woke up to a bedroom filled with water after the night's storms.
Tomorrow, I have another adventure to Gönc, but that's a discussion for another day.

The camp is officially open with currently 11 kids here. On Sunday, 70 more will come (which is a roundabout figure, since we were told there'd be 30 in this group :P) There's still a lot of work that could/should be done, but no one seems really worried about it. Emilie, Livia and Simon are here now and I know that even if they're not excited about being here, they are hard workers.

And I'm looking forward to going back to Budapest for now.

*~*~*

Just a couple pictures for you today.

These are some signs around the Jewish Quarter. This first one says (allow me to translate) that this was the former gate to the ghetto, until the Soviets freed them on January 18, 1945.


"Whoever saves a life is considered as to have saved the entire world." - Talmud
This plaque is placed near a memorial for Carl Lutz, a Swiss man who saved thousands of Jews by getting them fake Swiss passports and paperwork.

No comments: