Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sometimes we question our world... and get answers the next day

So, you know how I wrote about the feeling of not working?
Well, actually before I even posted it I got the answer. I just couldn't bring myself to delete the whole post.

Reason people didn't want to work? They weren't seeing any signs of getting paid.
In fact, as I sit here tonight, there are only 5 of us at the camp now. Me, Ricsi (volunteers)... Tibi (paid staff who HAS gotten his paycheck)... Mama, Gyürika (the 'grandma' and '8 year old grandson' team who are making sure they wish us a good night about 10 times. :P

the young people I was hoping to learn more from and hang out with? gone.
the 3 and 5 year old girls who didn't care whether I spoke Hungarian or gibberish, as long as I gave them hugs and let them sit by me at dinner, i was cool? gone.
apparently word got around that the Roma Self-Government wasn't going to pay them and they didn't want to work for free. So, the Roma Camp, in turn, told them that they couldn't just stay here for free... and so they left.

There are many things which transpired over the course of a couple hours that caused me to think:
a) why?! the camp needs to be fixed up and it cannot be done by Tibi completely. If Ricsi and I weren't here, what would happen? What is the Roma self-goverment thinking? If they really want a camp, this is NOT a good way to start.
b) I saw them pack up their stuff and one has to wonder what's next for them. You see, I brought three bags of stuff (plus a purse) for three weeks. I'm not sure how long they planned on staying, but the family packed up winter coats. Is this the only place they had for the time? Do they have no home, no job, NOTHING to go to? I was watching them pack up EVERYTHING they own and couldn't help but be sad that this was a really frustrating moment in their lives...
c) there's no way we're going to get all the work done now. Awesome. Oh well... Frustration, annoyance and apathy hit at about the same time, which was a very strange sensation.

*~*~*

Random pictures...

excuse me, sir. what IS this instrument? and is the face necessary to make it play?


just a random house in the Jewish Quarter that I think is cute


Hello, Budapest :)


technological injuries
I told you about my camera yesterday.
Today, I want to introduce you to my sad looking computer.
Let's start at the top. Yes, that's tape holding in the power cord. It's not duct tape, but if I were in the US, it would be. Not sure what happened except that one day I noticed it was plugged in and not registering a charge. hmmm...
I'm missing a control key. Also not sure what happened there. One day, while talking to my mom actually, I wanted to copy something and hit control and it came with my finger. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the phone call distracted and trying to put it back on. Sorry, mom!
then you see the bottom corner... My computer tried to commit suicide by jumping off the desk. Srsly. Maybe i pushed it, maybe not. The world will never know. :P

2 comments:

Sepp said...

Sounds like it's not going as awesomely as planned. But, hey, it's an experience! And seriously time to get a new laptop.

Trazy Lyn said...

not as awesome as planned, but still awesome and a GREAT experience, you're right.

and yeah, I know. Day after Thanksgiving and I will have a new one :)