Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dreaming of you in another language ;)

So, this week was crazy. Monday, I went to the tanoda and we proceeded to have a great snowball fight in a nearby park. I came to the tanoda with a bit of a runny nose and stuffiness. On Tuesday, my sinuses and I were in battle. Unable to function between the running nose, coughing, sneezing, sore throat and aching body, I stayed home Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday I felt amazingly better. I've decided I'm allergic to Hungary. I've gotten sick once a month since I've been here and while I can look back on all these months and laugh at that fact, it's rather annoying :(

All the extra sleep means extra dreams. In all my years of Spanish training and speaking, I can't recount a dream in which I actually spoke Spanish. In the last couple weeks, I've had three separate dreams in which I spoke Hungarian. Yes, it was broken Hungarian and at the same level where I find myself when awake... but it was Hungarian nonetheless. so weird! what would probably make for a better story is if I woke up and had no idea what I'd just said.

Please be praying for direction for me. In a few minutes I'm going to begin the process that involves contacting 2 colleges to see what re-enrolling would entail.
Looking forward to starting school again with a sense of direction, just not sure what that direction will entail - Spanish, TESOL, youth ministry, or pre-seminary? such decisions!

*~*~*

Last week, I set off on an adventure to take a small walking tour of the Buda side of the river. It was a nice, quiet walk by myself. I walked up a cobblestone street and found this sight. I'd heard that it existed, but didn't have many directions to guide me. So, when I actually found it, I'm was excited. Also, what information I did find said that there was an entrance fee, but it turns out that there's construction going on and entrance is currently FREE! score!
...
so, what is it?
The tomb of Gül Baba - a Muslim Dervish. This plot of land actually belongs to Turkey and for more information, feel free to refer to wikipedia. Most of the information there holds up to what was on the plaque in the actual memorial, except that word on the street is that there are two possible causes of death. The plaque in the entrance to the tomb states that he died a martyr's death. However, there is a rumor with other visitors that he died from excitement at a massive party. Death by overexcitement? That is a sad way to die... or is it a happy way?

overlooking the city and Danube below...

such a beautiful memorial...

Gül Baba's statue

his tomb, which is in the shape of an octagon...

His body? wow. I didn't expect to actually be able to see this, but I caught the keeper just in time. He saw me snapping pictures and invited me inside. Note the rose on his hat. He was often called "Father of Roses" because it's said that he actually introduced roses to Hungary. Note the carpets also - this is a popular pilgrimage sight for muslims.

No comments: