Tuesday, January 12, 2010

it's been a while...

since i've posted here. Sorry. There have been many moments over the last few days when I've thought "Hmmm... what could I write about in my blog?" Really, nothing has struck me as something you all should know. Instead, I'm going to give you a very basic rundown of all the things that probably could be dramaticized to become their own blog posts, but I think I lack that skill.

Friday: to Debrecen and Nyirtelek and back again
On Friday morning, at 7:30a, Matt, Zoltán, Józsi and I (along with György and Emese) loaded a mini-bus headed for Debrecen, a city in Eastern Hungary. We were going to a Reformed high school to hopefully recruit volunteers for next year's ÖDÉ volunteers. It was about 3 hours later, after having read a lot and looked out the window a little that we arrived. We talked and sang. Afterwards, the headmaster introduced himself to Jeff and I... and told us that he went to Calvin College for a semester! WOAH! Then we ate lunch at the school, then traveled to Jeff's village to meet with his pastor. After dropping Jeff off, we traveled back to Budapest. It was a long, boring day, but hopefully we got some kids interested and I got some good reading in, so it wasn't worthless.

Saturday: rainy day in Budapest
Saturday morning began at 9a with Kristy and her sister calling - they're back in town and near my flat. They left things here as they traveled and needed to get them. They also wanted to visit Tree Hugger Dan's Bookstore and the Hummus Bar, so we set off on an adventure which ended in us being drenched. Then I sent them off to the Otterness' flat and met Matt and Kristin at Tesco (supermarket) to do shopping - we were cooking for Sunday's lunch at St. Columba's... then after getting all of the supplies we needed, we came back to the flat and made our own tortillas. Sunday's lunch had a Mexican theme, of sorts.

Sunday: The Americans bring Mexican to the Scottish church in Hungary
hehe - the title is more impressive than the act. Basically, we made the blandest Mexican food (per Hungarian taste buds) and got a kick out of watching people of MANY cultures eat. Some spread just sour cream on the tortilla and rolled it. Some ate all the toppings on the tortilla like a pizza. Some just bypassed the tortilla all together. Others knew exactly what they were doing. Never have tacos been so amusing :)

Monday: My first Langos and tour of the city by a Hungarian girl
Before I left, I had a training in Chicago for two weeks. At said training, a girl named Courtney told me that she has a friend in Budapest and that she'd give me her info. Stephanie (the friend) is Hungarian and used to live in the states so she could give me insight on things and be a friend. Finally, after four months of being here, Stephanie and I met. We walked through the city and talked about everything from politics to fashion to God to food to history and back to God and faith. I tried my first Langos (a Hungarian specialty: fried dough topped with garlic, sour cream and cheese... sometimes with other things like ham, ketchup, or salt). It was delicious and an experience all its own. I look forward to meeting her again, as we could become good friends.

And now today: a Hungarian Transportation Strike
despite claims that this could be like the great strike in NYC a couple years ago, it remains to be nothing of the sort. Metros are still running. Trollibuszes are still running. Buses have been subcontracted out so some of them are still running. Villamoses are running (only two are, but the main two at least). My entire world is still completely accessible. All that hype for nothing :P

*~*~*

Christmas arrived on January 4th! Thank you to everyone represented here - three packages and 16 cards! It really made my day to know that I'm so loved. Srsly - thank you!


This is the coolest McDonalds I've ever seen. It's right next to a train station and it looks like it could be a very high class restaurant. Instead, you get the artery clogging goodness that is behind the golden arches.


The next two pictures of some of the other volunteers as we sat in a Cukraszda (Sweet Shop) after checking out an art exhibition one evening. Props to János or Zoltán for taking these pictures :P But in the top picture, you can meet Evelyn (Germany), Benjamin (Germany) and Emese, my country coordinator/ÖDÉ boss.

No comments: