Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Eulogy for a friend

As I stated before, I received word that an old friend had died just after Christmas. Somehow I knew in coming here that there would be deaths. There would be new life. There would be things that happen at 'home' that I would miss.
The first death came in the form of some of my kids' father. I had one memory of that man and it was him coming up to me during my last day at Home Acres and thanking me for my service. It meant a lot at the time and means so much more now.
The second, most recent death came in the form of an old friend. I have a few memories of Ryan, but the one that rings clearest is when we first met and he said "you look like you need a hug" and just proceeded to give it. I didn't have time to respond except to hug back. Ryan and I weren't exactly close and the last I'd heard from him was when he'd graduated and been denied ordination. He came to my mind and prayers often, but it was more of an acquaintance friendship.

Anyway, I was forwarded his eulogy and it's been at the forefront of my mind these last few days. It raises a lot of questions to which I do not have the answers. I never wish to have the answers until I've been told face-to-face by my Father how He feels. Having answers, in my opinion, leads to a judgement... and I really don't want to be the judge in the matter ruling for either side.

And yes, this does seem to be in direct response to a decision made by the RCA, which is my sending organization. Please know that I do represent the RCA and in that role came my decision to accept where the RCA stands on certain policies. Acceptance is different from complete agreement, but as I researched the general beliefs of the RCA as a denomination, I found very little that I disagreed with. That being said, my posting of this eulogy is meant for only reflection and to raise questions within yourself about the issues at hand.


Rest in peace, Ryan. The world misses you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Specially the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.