Monday, January 25, 2010

Mysteries of Hungary...

schedules and money - it's what a lot of the western world revolves around. Here, however, I have encountered so many different ways of thinking involving these two subjects. Today, I witnessed oddities involving both.

Schedules here are something that are rarely, if ever, concrete. For someone so schedule oriented as myself (if you've ever been to a CHAOS event or if you've had the pleasure of being with me for traveling, you know this). I have never kept a real schedule, but at the urging of some friends (*cough*KEVIN*cough*) my free time often needed one. However, I always knew when I had to work and when my time was available to be free and ESPECIALLY conveyed proper times if someone else were depending on my schedule. This is the second time I've gone to the tanoda when my mentor said it would be open, only to find that that information was, in fact, misleading. Nem baj (no problem) - as it allows me to come home and write this to you, but it seems disconcerting to travel there and leave the work I was doing in the ÖDÉ office... only to find that I could have stayed where I was. Luckily, I was told about the next two weeks of closing the tanoda well beforehard, so at least I won't go there each day only to find myself in the same situation. Two weeks away! I will surely miss the kids :(

As far as money, I am completely confused by the organization of the Posta (post office). I went to the Posta near the tanoda and because I wasn't sure I had enough cash on me to mail both of the letters I had, I only mailed one. It cost 260huf ($1.35) - now keep in mind that the letters were the EXACT same thing - same postcards inside the same envelopes. One is going to Florida, the other to Arizona, but actual location inside the USA has never mattered - it's always the same price. After I left the tanoda, I discovered a few more coins in my purse and decided to stop by the Posta near my home and mail the second one. This one cost 330huf ($1.72). WHY?! mystery remains unsolved, but I assure you I will only go to the Posta near the tanoda from now on.

*~*~*

I've had this picture sitting in my 'share' folder for a while now. It was taken in OCTOBER! Anyway, the tradition for our first two months in Budapest was to meet on Saturdays and try a new restaurant. It has long since died, but it was fun while it lasted. Starting today, I will have my Saturday meals provided for free, as well as my weekday meals, so I fear it won't be resurrected. This is a picture of my four companions at the Hummus Bar, which is just down the street from our flat and if any of you come to Budapest, you MUST eat here - fantastic vegetarian food, cheap and free peppermint tea (which is what's in our glasses). And, it's right down Altkotmány Utca in front of the Parliament. Kristy (Canadian, working in Sarszentlörinc), Silvia (Italian, working in Budapest), Silke (German, working in Budapest, and Matt (American, working in Budaörs)


This is a cute church in Buda, which I believe stands from the Turkish empire.


this is my city :)

No comments: