Tuesday, October 27, 2009

a step left, a step right...

There's a whole other world in Hungary that I don't experience everyday. The last few days have been examples of that.
Kristy came to Budapest and wandering with her for a few days allowed me to get some of my 'tourist' out of me. It was great to walk a few feet and experience the views of the sunshine, architecture, scenery and people as Kristy would, someone who doesn't experience it everyday.
Then I joined her in Sárszentlörinc, where I thought I would experience a very quiet, slower paced way of serving. NOT TRUE! I have, in fact, been kept fairly busy and we are awake earlier here. No sleeping in on this vacation! It's been very interesting. I've also learned that I know NO Hungarian. Everyone here is speaking Hungarian, which made me realize just how much English I've used to get by. It's frustrating, but at the same time humbling.
Also, we were invited to stay and eat lunch with a gypsy family today. It's a rare invitation and the fact that I was here to accept it just made it all the more awesome. It was an experience I had hoped to have at least once, but it seemed as though it wouldn't happen in the work that I saw myself doing. Little did I know, eh? It was delicious - soup and potato dumplings (which I promised Kristy I'd teach her to make).

Speaking of recipes - here is the recipe for Gyumölcs Leves, which I made for the youth group. This makes enough for 25 servings.

Ingredients:
6 packages of frozen fruit - thawed (this is important) - berries (especially blueberries) taste and work the best :)
6 cups water
2 1/2 cups Sugar
Ground Cinnamon
6 tablespoons Water
6 tablespoons Cornstarch
12 tablespoons Lemon juice
6 cups sour cream
3 cups Milk

Drain fruit, reserving syrup (cut up large pieces of fruit). In 1 big pot combine reserved syrup, the 6 cups water, sugar and a dash or three of cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Blend the 6 tablespoons water and cornstarch; stir into saucepan. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Cool to room temperature. Blend in sour cream and fruit. Stir in milk. Cover and chill.

*~*~*

and of course, pictures!

this is a playground on an island - we took our kids (all 400 of them) to this island for their "Sport Day" and this is about the coolest set of slides I've seen :)


This is hilarious. The top sign says "Sörfesztival" which means "Beer Festival" and the bottom sign says "Könyvtar Klub" which means "Library Club" ... uh... hmmm... ok?


this is a random view of Liberty Bridge from the entrance to the great market hall...


this is the first and only Chevy I've seen here - I've seen lots of Fords, but I was pretty excited to see the American brands made in my state :)


This is a group of volunteers that happened to gather together in Budapest for a few minutes - it was very random, but also cool :) Silke (Germany), Silvia (Italy), Evelyn (Germany), Timothée (France), Kristy (Canada) and Jeff and I (USA)

No comments: