Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Video unable to upload?! Srsly?! grrr...

Well, guys, it’s been a few days since I’ve last updated. Quite a bit has happened since then, so sorry to keep you out of the loop.
Let’s see… Jeff came to visit Budapest for a few days. It was good to see him and Kristy (who was also visiting for a few hours) again. I’ve missed our camaraderie and the fun we had the first 3 weeks of being here in Hungary. It was great to see how much Hungarian they’ve learned/had to learn in the last month. You can tell that they’ve had a much different experience than anyone in Budapest. I hope to, in one year, learn as much as they have in one month. Srsly!
In Jeff’s visit, we got to hang out with Dick and Carolyn Otterness a lot. They are such a comfort here. I love visiting with them and they have truly taken us in as family since we’ve been here. See! I KNEW they’d become like my Hungarian parents! I praise God for their presence here and their hospitality toward us and all of the volunteers. We also got to meet Paul, an American working in Croatia with teens/young adults. It was fun to go sight-seeing with him on Sunday night. We traveled to the Citadel (my FAVORITE place in the entire city!) and just had a great time laughing and sharing our experiences. The BEST conversation to come out of that night was about the toilets in Europe. I’ve honestly been waiting to have this conversation with another American because, well, they’re just… different. The biggest difference is that they have this, well… shelf… which can cause some serious issues at times… and… yeah… any more comments from me and it could turn into a very enlightening picture. However, I will keep it clean for my mother and her friends who are reading :) But I KNOW you get the picture!

In the last week have been some interesting political developments. On Monday, there was a train strike and anyone going out or coming into the city had some issues. It didn’t pose an issue for me, but many teachers were absent on this day because it also involved the commuter trains. On Tuesday, there was a demonstration outside the Parliament Building involving all the firemen in Hungary. I honestly worry about what happened if there was a fire on this day, because all the firemen were outside my flat (okay, so *I* felt safe!). Apparently the Parliament is considering budget cuts and firemen may be on the receiving end of these cuts. They were rallying in opposition of these cuts. It was a good demonstration.
This may not be the case on Friday. Everyone at the school has asked if we are staying in Budapest on Friday, which is a national holiday. When we tell them “igen” or “yes”, they tell us to take care and stay inside. Apparently there may be demonstrations that are NOT peaceful taking place and we are in a location that is the prime area. Please be praying for safety for us on this day. Silke and I have decided that we’re going to go shopping (we are having a birthday party for Timothée on this day) and then plan to be at the boys’ apartment by noon… and just stay there. They live outside the city and on this day, it will probably be safer. I’m just excited for some excitement, but yes, mom, I’ll be careful. I promise!

I was going to leave you with a video, but it wouldn't update... maybe next time? hmmm...

Until I update again, I appreciate all your prayers. Thank you so much!
Sziasztok! (See y'all later!)

No comments: