Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I started writing this so long ago, I forgot what pictures were here!

Yesterday was a lot of adventure. I'm not even quite sure how to put it all into words. Let's just say it was a bittersweet morning turned to an interesting midday to a funny afternoon and a very very very random evening.

Yesterday morning, we said goodbye to two very important people here in Hungary: Dick and Carolyn Otterness. They went back to the states for 5 months, something that all missionaries are required to do every so often. They will have some personal time as well as an opportunity to follow up with the churches that support them. It's something that they need to do, but it's sad to see them go. They've been amazing support for all of us in Hungary and Slovakia. However, because they've always done more than we could imagine to support us, we (Jeff, Matt and I) decided to cook them breakfast. Nothing fancy, but it was nice to provide them with a good meal and share with them one last time.

Then I went to my placement. I didn't really do much except share youtube videos with Richi (my placement boss' son). I shared with him the videos from the GR zombie walk, pillow fight, airplane toss and other events. It was funny to watch him "oohing" and "ahhhing" over them. However, at one point, I was handed a 9 month old little girl named Boglarka (Bogi) while her mom got the other daughter ready. believe it or not, we both survived... and i handed her back to her mom LAUGHING! woah! :)

After my placement, I met Joe Angi, a PCUSA missionary and we headed to the Northern part of the country. We are extremely blessed here because there is a dentist up there who has offered his services to those of us working in the various causes here. This meant that when I started experiencing pain, I could go to him for the mere cost of travel (about $30). Joe and I drove through some villages while we wasted time (we were a little early) and shared in some of the amazing views from the roadside. (Pictures coming soon, I promise!) Anyway, we got there, got some stuff fixed and we headed back to the road.

Then, we headed to the middle of the eastern part of Hungary to Polgar, the town where Joe was born. Joe has an interesting story which involves his family leaving Hungary after the 1956 Revolution and relocating to the United States. Now he's back here with his wife and his father is back here as well. We went to Polgar to pick up his aunt and so it was neat to see some of the more personal history in this country. Also, apparently the center of the world is in Polgar, Hungary (there you have it! interesting facts according to Joe Angi!)

We arrived back in Budapest to find our apartment filled, or nearly filled. We welcomed Emilie, Livia, Emily, Lisa and Stefanie into our flat for the night. The reason we were so full is because we had a seminar starting the next day for RGDTS... and it was St. Patrick's Day! In true Budapest style, within minutes of my arrival, in piled 8 more people (4 of the Budapest boys and 4 Germans we hadn't met before). Chaos ensued. Laughter was had. Friends were made. When everyone left to go to the bar to celebrate in style, I had a chance to write about half of this. Then, I finished it today. wow.



*~*~*

One of the cool things about my new placement is the family that has seemed to adopt me. It's great! Richi (the son) and István (the dad) were performing poetry in honor of the National Holiday on March 15, so I got to attend this event. It was interesting and there were some good poems... and I even understood parts of them!



Also, check out these escalators! This is in Budapest and the girls in the picture are Emily and Stefanie. They're sooo deep and fast, it's surreal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.