Thursday, November 19, 2009

internet and recruitment...

The atmosphere in the flat has changed since internet has arrived – a new tension has arisen. We have gone from “what can we all do together?” to “when is it my turn to use the one cord?” It’s a little frustrating, but at the same time, not an extremely bad thing. It’s interesting to observe each person’s characteristics. I do believe that I have one roommate with a larger internet addiction than even me! Scary, I know! :P While I enjoy using the internet and can’t wait for the day when I can just let my computer sit on the kitchen table and chat with someone while making dinner, it’s not such a huge thing to be on it much. Plus, I am the only one who can, at the moment, use the internet after everyone else has gone to bed because the internet cord is right next to my bed (lucky me? But that’s exactly what I’m doing right now!)… However, this also means that I cannot go to bed until everyone’s internet time is done. I do believe that if this continues for a long time, we may need to put some restrictions in place (like no one in our room after 11p or no more than one hour at a time unless no one else is home)… I am enjoying the ability to get up, drink a cup of coffee and check the weather, though. I will take that convenience with some tension any day.

I am increasingly amused at how many recruitment events I have already attended here. It seems crazy that we need to recruit so many people, but at the same time, I am being taught about the culture here. Volunteerism is not so popular and so the idea of taking a year out of one’s life to get very little money seems absurd. Hence, the need for recruitment – convincing young adults that it is, in fact, a good idea :)

And now, it’s off to watch a couple episodes of Lost, pass out and teach school tomorrow. ‘Night y’all!

*~*~*

Another random building just down the street from me – could you imagine putting a loveseat against one of those windows, complete with a bunch of pillows and just sit there, reading/drinking coffee/people watching? *sigh* Ahhh…


Szábadsag Tér – we never did figure out what the big building is… quest for next time, I suppose.


The American Embassy. I’m about 87% sure that this picture is illegal. If you don’t hear from me for another week – I’m in Hungarian jail. Also just down the street from my flat, so I didn’t go far, but not at my placement… Sorry kids!


I love the streets of Budapest. It’s a great place to just walk on quiet Sunday afternoons :)


This is St. Stephen’s Basilica. It’s enormous. Apparently, there is St. Stephen’s mummified hand. That’s disgusting, but someday I will go investigate. Promise.

No comments: