Wednesday, November 4, 2009

oh, Happy Day!

***EDIT*** i promised myself that I would blog uncensored, and as much as I wanted to delete the first part of this post, I'm not going to. please just keep reading, because it reaches a rather delightful note at the end. thanks.

So, you wanna know what’s cool? We were actually told yesterday that “we have nothing for you tomorrow.” Um… okay… cool. WHY AM I HERE? I am becoming more and more frustrated as the weeks pass by. I mean, I dunno, if I were the headmaster of a school and I told people that I wanted volunteers, but then the volunteers’ coordinator told me that they were bored and wanted to be used… I think I would make sure they weren’t bored in the future, even if we didn’t speak the same language. LET ME CLEAN TOILETS if there’s nothing else. (okay, so I don’t mean that seriously, but yet… I do… if that’s where they needed help, I would do it… honestly…)
Yes, part of this could be me not saying to the headmaster that I need something to do, but there’s the problem of communication and the English teachers don’t really seem to know/care/worry about us filling our time.

So, here I sit at home. We’re going to go to the school to eat lunch and then I’m probably going to go talk to Aaron. I need to figure out what the dealio with Sunday lunch is (Matt and I volunteered to cook the ‘after church lunch’ for about 30 people this next Sunday) and how it works. Apparently there’s a budget for it (7000Huf = about $40), so that’s super nice, but figuring out all those logistics will be fun. Then I will head off to Calvary Chapel to meet Szillard, the dude who works at a homeless shelter in town.
Time spent at placement? 45 minutes to eat lunch. Score… not.

***UPDATE***
So, I met with Szilard and Zsolt about the mission run by Calvary Chapel here in Budapest. After a few minutes of meeting, some great things were revealed to me. First of all, they work 7 hour days... 7 x 5 = 35, the exact amount of hours I need at a placement. Second of all, they serve many meals and if I can't switch placements, there may be an opportunity to serve meals in the evenings as well. Thirdly, they used to have an English class for those wishing to improve their abilities, but the teacher went home, but they've been praying for another native speaker to join the ranks and do this again.
Then a personal story was brought up. A woman needs not only an English tutor because she needs to take an exam, but also has walked away from God. Perhaps this is an opportunity for me... it's a LOT to pray about, but I left that meeting EXCITED about the things that could come to be.
That evening, I met Eve, a girl that speaks English and works at the mission and I am joining her at 7a on Friday morning. YAY! Turns out, they are going to be short staffed that day and needed an extra hand... and I needed someone to show me the ropes and introduce me to the mission.
God is a'workin!

Oh my goodness, it was a great day afterall!

*~*~*

This is another set of pictures of random sights around my home city, Budapest. This is one of the bridges, which at night, looks pretty sweet. The moon was amazing this evening, too!


I wanna say that this was earlier the same night because the moon looks pretty sweet in this picture too. Can you find it? The bridge in the picture is the ol’ chain bridge. You can also see some cruises, some buildings on the Pest side and some great Hungarian graffiti.


I thought for about 10 seconds that there was a bus in the water and I panicked. Then I realized that it was indeed floating and causing a wake. Not a bus, but a bus-shaped boat! I think that’s pretty cool. The bridge in this picture is Margit Híd and you can also get a glimpse of the Buda Hills.


Hah. I used to work for Manpower back in the day. Apparently I can continue over here. Awesome.


This is another picture of Freedom Square. You can see a dome of Parliament in the background, but you can also see some of the beautiful architecture that is right down the street from where I live. I know you’re jealous :)

2 comments:

Simon said...

sorry Trazy but the last picture is not freedom-square ;-) it´s the sowjet-army-memorial :-)

Trazy Lyn said...

it says szabadsag ter (freedom square) on my map :P