Saturday, November 21, 2009

shopping, space and a museum of agriculture...

Today, I ventured out with about $50 in search of a few things from the outlet mall. Yeah, I’m counting on some money for Christmas, so I decided to treat myself a little early and get some boots (much needed when walking throughout the city) and a winter purse. I also needed to get some new street shoes, but for right now, the boots will do just fine.
A couple weeks ago, Evelyn asked me to go shoe shopping. Now, it’s not everyday that I point out someone’s shoes and the next day they ask me to go shoe shopping with them. Pretty cool, I think. Anyway, I also asked one of the Hungarians that works in the ÖDÉ office where the best place to buy shoes is – she responded with the outlet mall in Budaörs. It’s outside of the city, but we got there on our city passes and with an extra Volanbusz ticket that cost 530HUF (about $2.95) for round trip. Not bad. Kinga also told me that we should make a day out of it, so we left at 11a.
Armed with 10.000HUF ($55.60), this is how today scored:
530 – bus ticket ($2.95)
1000 – Chinese fast food lunch ($5.60)
3000 – boots ($16.70)
350 – roasted chestnuts ($1.95)
4000 – purse ($22.25)
610 – hot chocolate afterwards ($3.40)
Not too shabby, eh?

Now I’m trying to settle down, but I’m realizing a new problem for me. I moved here after always having ‘my own space’ and tons of it. At Home Acres, I worked in my own space. At Multiband, I had a supervisor position, so a completely separate job from the people I oversaw and from my superiors. At home, I had my own room, bathroom and living room. I didn’t live next door to my friends, so I didn’t have them always around, but they were all close enough to hang out with when I wanted. But I could also find the space that I so often enjoyed.
Here, I have no space. At Vörösmarty, I work with Silke and other teachers (good, I can’t exactly have my own classroom). At St. Columba’s, I’m working with Aaron (good, cuz I don’t speak Hungarian and I don’t know the kids). At Ferencvárosi Tanoda, I am still relying on Helga a lot (for Hungarian interpretation and children’s behavior interpretation). At home, I live with three girls with no common space except the kitchen, so it’s either cramped in the kitchen or your bedroom… which I share for the first time in over 6 years. Now, it’s become interesting because everyone is in our room. I came home tonight to find Andrea on the internet, Silvia sitting on my bed and Silke sitting on her bed… all in the same room. Not a big deal, but after a long day of trying to communicate and have fun with someone that’s having a hard time here, I just wanted to sit and… well, be alone. I took my computer and went to Silvia and Andrea’s room. It’s funny because I think Silke has abandoned our room as well. So, right now, the only people in our room don’t actually live in the room they’re in. Oy. I might actually call the Otternesses tonight to see if it’d be okay if I crash at their place. We all go to church together in the morning anyway. It would be nice before everyone comes to our place this Wednesday night.
Oh yeah, I didn’t mention that. Thursday, Emese invited all the volunteers to come to Budapest for a one hour meeting with the Reformed Church in Hungary bishop and the Lutheran Church bishop of Hungary. Not a big deal, it’ll be cool to see everyone again. However, here’s the thing: everyone wants to stay with us. I might just switch places with someone – they come to Budapest, I go to a small village! :P just kidding… sorta.

*~*~*

These are some pictures of the Museum of Agriculture. It sounds lame, but the architecture on this building is beautiful. Maybe someday I’ll venture inside and see what it’s really all about. Lehet (maybe).




No comments: