Wednesday, November 18, 2009

a morning post :)

On Monday evening, I came home… exhausted from work and frustrated with the way things seemed to be going. I walked into my room to find something to be put in a frame and remembered (if for nothing else, the joy that it brought to my face, heart and feet… because I srsly started dancing, just ask Andrea!)… MY FIRST LETTER FROM HOME! Haha!
Now, don’t get me wrong. It’s not the first mail I’ve received in Hungary. I’ve gotten some kind of ‘junk-mail-but-not-junk’ mail from the RCA as well as 2 packets of support letters from the RCA missionaries around the world. They’ve been great, but they aren’t exactly the kind of mail for which I jump up and down.
I held onto the letter, knowing that it was sent with love from my mommy. But wait, there’s more – it wasn’t just a card/letter, there was something inside. Probably something magical and wonderful! I was right – I tore open the envelope to find a card and some VIA – Starbucks Instant Coffee. So, after many tears and reading the card over and over again, my stressful, long day ended with much joy. Thanks, Mommy!

I am at the point where I am beginning to miss home again. I’ve been back for a month now, and it’s the time of year when I got to see my family a lot. In a week, we’d be making Thanksgiving preparations… then everyone would be coming for Thanksgiving and we’d be talking about who wants what for Christmas… then my mom, sister and I would do the Black Friday shopping extravaganza… then there would be the Advent season with church and Christmas decorations and celebrations and… hmmm… it’s just not going to be the same this year.

Péter, one of my friends, put it a great way – “[I’ve] already experienced 26 American Christmases, it’s time to experience a Hungarian Christmas.” It’s true. I just don’t really want to celebrate it apart from family and friends.
Speaking of Christmas, I have received a lot of questions asking what I’m doing… but no invitations yet. Hopefully that will become concrete before the 24th of December :) See! I can adapt to the Hungarian schedule of things! I can! I can!

I also have to say hello to Mrs. Lampen – whom has been a faithful reader, but was apparently a bit concerned when I didn’t update for an entire week. I love you, too, Mrs. Lampen! Thanks for your concern and I am glad to have your prayers and support!

I could go on and on with personal shout-outs, but that’s quite enough of a blog post for today. Goodbye, friends!

*~*~*

This is Ellit(?) and Misi, stirring the great big pot of pasta at the Golgotha Mission. This pasta will serve more than 70 people that would have otherwise gone without on a cold Autumn day.


This is a look down Andrassy Ut, one of the main shopping streets. It runs between Heroes Square (the statue at the end of the street) and Deák Ferenc Ter (the city center/where all the Metro lines meet). Luckily for me, I took this on my walk home from the school/Tree Hugger Dan’s (the English, secondhand bookstore).


This is a view of my school – I’ve been reluctant to take pictures of my school or projects because of the importance to build up trust/relationship with people before snapping pictures all over the place… plus, I have a whole year to take pictures! Anyway, this is taken from a window in the St. Columba’s Church, so you can see that they really are connected… The small windows under the basketball hoops are the teachers’ cafeteria, where Silke and I eat lunch every day.


Matt and Kristin (Matt’s girlfriend from the states, who is also in Hungary teaching English) came over this last Sunday before church and cooked French toast. Kristin even brought MAPLE SYRUP. It was pretty amazing and definitely picture worthy.


This is just a random building not far from my flat with some pretty architecture. Someone once told me that Hungarians have the belief “why make straight lines when you can make curves?” and I totally believe it. It makes for some beautiful buildings :)

No comments: