Friday, November 6, 2009

today was a good day... thank You, Jezús!

I haven’t stopped smiling since 7a this morning. I kid you not. Thank you, Jesus, for a great day. Thank you, Jesus, for a place where I felt welcome from the first moment (complete with a cup of coffee!).

Today, I went to the Golgotha Mission. I was greeted at the door by a boy who didn’t speak much English, but he asked if I wanted coffee then told me that Eve, the girl who speaks wonderful English, would be there in 10-20 minutes. I had to smile because I would have understood this in Hungarian, but he tried really hard to say it in English. So, I sat in the ‘staff’ room and waited for Eve.
Upon her arrival, I got put to work… like, actual work! I put some nut cream on pieces of bread and made sandwiches. Then, I got to do the same thing with zsír (fat). When all the bread had been used, they told me that I got to sit down and eat some breakfast. It was then that I noticed sandwiches were disappearing and people were pouring in. During breakfast, this small mission serves between 150 and 200 people! After finishing with my food, I went out and helped hand out sandwiches and tissues and yogurt to people. Even I can say “tessék” (please/take) and “egességedre” (for your health) and “szívessen” (you’re welcome/with pleasure). Eve showed me around the basic functions of the mission.
Before long, I was taken upstairs to the office, where I met Zsólt (the guy I’d spoken to before) and apparently there was a meeting at 1:30p with a guy who wants to give the mission 8,000,000HUF (about $45,000). This is a HUGE amount of money for this mission and a few people (Zsólt, Ellet? – the head cook, Eve and I) were meeting to pray about the meeting. It was great because they even involved me and asked me to pray along with them (in English, of course).
Then it was back downstairs to continue handing out food. At 10a, they stop serving breakfast and a few people stuck around to do laundry, take showers and just be warm while watching TV. Apparently during this time, they often have a small sermon or an English class or a skill class, which is where they’re hoping to use me.
At 11:30a, lunch is served. There are two lunch shifts with only 30 people each, with a waiting list as well. They don’t turn anyone away, but they can only offer a hot meal to about 70 people (30 x 2 shifts, plus workers, plus a few random extras thrown in). I was asked to bless the food (with translation by Eve) at each meal, and then got to hand out necessities (apples, tissues, multivitamins and bread) for the weekend.
At 1p, clean up begins. Even sweeping the floors was great. At 1:30p, we were finished.

The only bad part about today? Someone ran into me on the bus and I fell back against a seat. My camera was in my pocket and smashed against the metal part and even though it was in its case, I knew it wouldn’t be good because my leg hurt like woah… yup. Camera screen is dead. I mean, it still takes pictures, but you can’t really see what they look like until you upload them to the computer. Hmmm… thank goodness I got the cheapest camera, I guess.
But in all honesty, that didn’t even wreck my day. Now I can’t wait to meet with Emese to talk about how to do everything. She’s supposed to call me when she’s available this afternoon. So, of course, I couldn’t have hit the metal bar on the side with my cheap phone in my pocket! :P Go figure, eh?

*~*~*

I have four pictures of Sárszentlörinc, where Kristy lives. It’s interesting to note that in many European villages, the church is the focal point of the village. This holds true with this village as well.
Viszontlátásra! (Goodbye!)




No comments: