Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wall-E... in Hungarian? Rock on!

So, there are leftover sodas and pizza sitting on my table… and I added two new teenagers to my Facebook friends. What does this all mean? Youth group started! We had three students – Vera, Rita and Mohab – all of whom are pretty sweet and I look so forward to getting to know them. We watched Wall-E in Hungarian (with English subtitles for me). We ate nummy pizza and drank soda and just… chilled at the church. It was great. Thanks to Aaron, we had translation when we needed it, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. We set up a bi-weekly meeting and next time, we are going BOWLING! WEEE!!!

Jeff, Emilie and Simon are all in town today. Last night we hung went for a walk across the bridge and then hung out at the “Peanut Pub” or “Che Guevarra Bar” for a while. It was great to catch up with old friends and just chat. It’s been fun to show people around town. I have felt like a tour guide, but I very much enjoy that job. I wish I could show all of you my city! I guess I’ll just keep posting pictures so that you can see my city with me.

PS – I seem to have a MILLION pictures to show you stockpiled up – but I would LOVE to put up some pictures that you want to see. My mom wants to see more of Hungary’s countryside (not an easy feat when you live in Budapest) and more pictures with me in them (they’re coming, I promise!). What do YOU want to see? It can be as random as “Trazy holding a pizza on her head while standing on one foot in front of the Parliament building with a pigeon.” Make them fun or make them interesting or make them of real things – then either email me (trazylyn@gmail.com) or leave a comment here.

*~*~*

For today, I leave you with a thought… what must it be like to take 400 students on a field trip through Budapest? I’ll give you a couple clues. First, there are no yellow school busses. Second, all the kids have monthly unlimited ride passes on public transportation. Third, I must remind you that these students are from grades 1-8.

The answer: freakin’ crazy!

This is the second field trip we’ve taken. We took the students to see a display of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 in Blaha Lujza Tér. These are the 5th grade students that we got to accompany (ie make sure that they are all arrive to the destination and back at school afterwards). They are becoming my favorite class. :)


Here you can kinda see that there were quite a few people there besides our kids, so it was really, really fun! Here you can see the actors portraying the moments of the revolution through miming/silent acting while a man narrated.



The kids also got an education on the 4-5 cars that were there. They were period cars that really didn’t have much to do with the actual Revolution, but it was still interesting.


These are three of the 5th grade boys posing with the tank and an actor. I would introduce you to them, but I really don’t remember their names :P Note the flag with the hole in the middle. Prior to the Revolution, in the middle of the flag was the Communist symbol, so because the revolutionaries wanted freedom from Communism, they cut a hole in all their flags.

No comments: