Sunday, November 15, 2009

OLD post

So, long time no post. Check this out – there are some major updates! Yay!

First of all, I will be submitting to Emese a schedule at the end of the week – this will have the tentative days that I will be at the school, the days that I will be at the tanoda, the days that I will be at the mission and the days I work with the teens at St. Columba’s. I do believe that I am going to have time for all four. This is probably the greatest thing – because they are all different. The school has me usually teaching English and helping only the students in the English class. It’s a great starting point for overseas mission because a lot of projects begin as language lessons. The tanoda is an afterschool program for primarily Roma children. I am not only helping with English homework, but also math. It’s actually a lot like the DOCK, so I have Wayne O. and the K-ville kids to thank for training me in this placement. The kids are NAUGHTY like woah and it’s not a church organization, but it’s great and I enjoy being there. The mission is working with other people on the fringes – those without a home. The purpose there is for me to truly share God’s love. The teens at St. Columba’s isn’t technically a placement… then again, what really is? So, while that schedule doesn’t really matter to Emese, it matters to me and to this blog (I am totally posting my schedule here when I figure it out, too :D) These teens are some refugees and some Hungarians – led by two crazy Americans (Pastor Aaron and I). It has potential to be a great time. I’m pretty pumped. I’m worried because I wonder how on earth I’m going to ever meet these kids where they are… but then again, I’ve worked with kids from the ghetto before and I haven’t ever lived there… somehow God has a way of bringing us all together… to common ground, to Holy ground…

Second important bit of information: Health. I have had more migraines here in the last two months than I have ever had in a two month period (I blame the stress of constant translation). I have been sick twice (but not recently, thank God). I am either extremely fatigued or can’t sleep, but never in between. There’s the toothache, which hasn’t been taken care of yet, but is not an ‘ache’ anymore. I feel like I’m falling apart health-wise. That’s not good. Please continue to pray for health and strength.

Thirdly, and probably most exciting? We are getting internet in our flat. On Tuesday, we’ll be getting one line installed… then, hopefully soon after, we’ll be getting wireless. w00t! I am excited! :) Finally I can actually start scheduling Skype dates and actually respond to emails with more than just one sentence!! Hah!
Well, this probably won’t be the last update on borrowed internet, but until then – viszontlátásra.

*~*~*

On October 25th, 1956 …
(taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_events_of_the_Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956)
On October 25 a crowd of thousands at the Budapest city centre's Astoria juncture made friends with the crew of a Russian tank row and pinned Hungarian flags on the tanks. When the people saw Russian tanks approaching from another direction with Hungarian flags on them, the word spread in the crowd: “The revolution has won!” Hours later dozens of people died and hundreds were injured at the Parliament building when persons still not identified, and (in a subsequent onslaught) Soviet tanks opened fire on the people, part of whom had arrived from Astoria. At the nearby Communist Party national headquarters also wild shooting started among various Hungarian and Soviet units. Rounds by a Soviet tank hit the party meeting room where top party leaders were negotiating with Soviet comrades including Malenkov. The party officials fled into the cellar.
for more important events - check out the above link.

On that day this last month, Kristy, Matt, Silke and I just happened to be wandering around town. We came to the Parliament building and noticed that beneath the flame, there were soldiers standing guard and a large sign. The sign explained the events of this day, which was great because we had no idea. Then more soldiers started coming out – we were about to witness ‘the changing of the guards’. Score! And now, you get to witness it.




No comments: