Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Big news?!

well, friends, i have some pretty big news to share with you. I've given it about two evenings to really sink in and allow me to post something that wasn't completely disconcerting and filled with sadness. There are many moments that I look back on and think "It would have been really easy to just give up..." but none like a moment I experienced on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, I went back to the Tanoda after it was closed for two weeks and had a meeting with Helga, the director. She had told me that there would be a new program in place when we started again after the short break. Nothing could have prepared me for what I heard, though. See, the tanoda got a grant to run a special program for students in order to prepare them for their final high school exams/graduation. This is a good thing for them, because it's an opportunity to showcase some of their strengths. It's also a good thing because it provided new funding. However, after lots of brainstorming meetings, they decided on a plan: They would only be open Tuesdays and Thursdays 4-6p. That's a total of 4 hours every week.

How does this affect me? Well, that means my MAIN placement cut back its hours to only 4 hours a week, which is less than most volunteers put in during one day. Also, I worked in the main part of the tanoda, but the main part is actually closing until April, so only the smaller part would be open those 4 hours. The entire system changed as well - teachers left and other teacher(s?) were hired as well.
Staying at the Tanoda for only four hours, would have been an option for me, except for one major point. My language course is on Tuesdays at 5. I always had to leave the tanoda at 4:15 in order to get there on time. This cuts Tuesdays completely out of my availability. That leaves 2 hours on Thursdays and, if I went to the Tanoda, I would be missing our volunteer Bible Studies/Cultural events (not a huge deal, but still would be sad to miss those...)
I spoke with Emese, our volunteer coordinator and she suggested a change in placements again.

Why was this hard for me? As you can imagine, I will now start my THIRD placement, which just makes me feel like a bit of a failure. Even though the tanoda's closing is not my fault, it just doesn't feel good to always be switching placements. Also, I was just starting to develop really good relationships with the kids and with the teachers. I was beginning to find my place and figure out ways that I could enrich life at the Tanoda (if any of you heard me talk about "manikúrek hétfön" (Manicures on Monday) or "Crafty Kedden" (crafts on Tuesday) or "Excursion Szérdán" (excursions on Wednesday) or "Sütemény Csütörtökön" (Baked Goods on Thursday)... you know. I was excited to put these programs into place and now? Now I get to meet a bunch of new people (probably kids) and learn what possibilities are there.

I'm trying to remain positive, but there are some moments that it can really get me down. I would welcome prayers on my behalf: for guidance into a new placement, speedy transitions, and a welcome place where I can grow, but also help others to grow. Thanks!

*~*~*

more Seminar/retreat pictures!
This is one of our meals - isn't it pretty? Those are beets on the left and in the main dish, the orange stuff is potatoes. The main course is a meatloaf-type food with half of a hard boiled egg in the middle - so creative!


The next three pictures are of my friend and fellow volunteer, Gyüri, in many poses. He's such a character, but he's really friendly and patient in teaching us Hungarian.
so... Gyüri at dinner...


Gyüri taking his shirt off?


Gyüri making a snowman (hóember)


this is the Reformed church in Berekfürdő - doesn't it just look like a picture from a Christmas card? or one of those tins you see a lot of around Christmas? so peaceful, beautiful, serene... *sigh*

No comments: