Sunday, August 28, 2011

Change of Plans

Note: This was written yesterday, but I never stopped for coffee like i said I would. Well, I stopped for coffee, just not at a restaurant.

*****

Today has been a very very busy day.
I started off at 6a from Junction, Texas and continued onward toward Houston. The highway I was on was going to take me south to San Antonio before headed east to Houston, so I hopped on a smaller highway. It was both the best and worst decision of the day. Best because I got to see a lot of "small town Texas" because it made me smile... Worst because in one of those small towns, there was a parade to celebrate their heritage and they closed down the highway and I got there right on time! Oh boy! :P
So, sadly, I arrived in Houston late, got a little lost through those awesome downtown highway systems and lots of traffic. I've decided that if I ever get asked how a city should be designed, I would have four major highways coming into the center - one from the north, south, east and west. If more highways would like to connect, then there can be a circle around the city that has lots of entrances and exits (think roundabout - only with more exits and on a much bigger scale). Anyway, I digress.
It was GREAT to see Kristina again and meet her son, even if it was just for a moment. We went out to a great restaurant and I had a VERY delicious chicken sandwich, made complete with crayons on the table (her son, Lennon, is 2) and some catching up with Kristina.
Then, I headed up to Granbury, Texas. On my way, as I drove through more small town, Texas, I called up the person I was staying with in Louisiana. Long story short: He needed to cancel. Thankfully I had a few hours to devise a plan B as I drove northward.
It was GREAT to see Mike and meet his family - it was fun to just sit on the porch and talk about nothing and everything. We went out to dinner and drove through his new home city. Then, after a little chilling, I crashed on his aunt and uncle's couch. I slept so well... until 4:30, when Mike left for work and I hit the road.

The new plans are still working themselves out, but I'm okay with all of them. So, the post tomorrow will be a mystery place. Yay for surprises!

*****

Remember when I talked about being able to see for miles in New Mexico? Well, I clocked it once and it was more than 10 miles. Aside from standing on the shore of Lake Michigan or being out on a mountain, I can't remember when I could ever see that far before... and this was just driving along.

It made those 10 miles pretty boring. I knew what was ahead. I knew there was going to be an upward climb and that the trucks would get caught up and I should probably be in the left lane. I knew that there were no service centers along that stretch and no police or broken-down cars or hitchhikers. I saw it all... before I really saw it. It was kinda weird.

There are so many moments in life that I wish I could see for miles. I wish I could see what's going to happen in the next 10 years, 10 months, 10 weeks... or shoot, even 10 days. How boring would that REALLY be? If I knew I was going to die 10 years from now, I may do a lot of things, but I would spend the majority of my time thinking about my life and impending death instead of actually going out and living. If I knew what I was going to do and where I was going to go before it ever happened, it wouldn't be a very great life, really.

I'm thankful that that's not how life goes. That there's some unknown, some mystery, some chance for thrill... but as I drive today, i hope to think about and focus on these things:
How can I stop focusing so much on what the future is and start living day-to-day or minute-to-minute more?
When has life taken unexpected turns? Am I thankful for those times or do they cause separation?
In those hard times of unforeseen circumstances, how can I remember - first of all, God has got me - second of all, God has made this (Ecc. 714) - and third, there is a plan and I'm in it and this is in it, so embrace it?

No comments: