Thursday, December 10, 2009

DAY 101 warrants 2 blog posts...

That's right, friends. I've been in Hungary for 101 days. Impressive. When I think back to all that's happened in the last three months, I can't help but stand in awe. Totally couldn't have done it without God... but also without your love and support, and the love and support of my new friends and family here. I mean, I know it's not Thanksgiving, but today I realized that I have a LOT to be thankful for.

So many of my blog posts can be negative or at least stem from something negative (boredom?), but I think back to all the positive things I've done. I have started a youth group. I've learned how to order coffee COMPLETELY (and understably) in Hungarian. I can navigate the city like a pro. I have found a bible study that is my own space where I feel I can meet God. I've read a lot of books. I have made new friends. I have experienced a whole new world... the one that God Himself created for us to love... and I have fallen in love with it repeatedly, which is something I can't say about life in the states.

Today was a day for celebrating, indeed. When I entered the Ferencvárosi Tanoda today, I heard "Trazy-neni ittvan! Szia Trazy!"... and then a bunch of things in Hungarian that I didn't understand, but ended in a high-five. Then, when I got to the ÖDÉ office for Bible study, I was excited to find two things: a card and my calendar. The card was a tricky one - it had my parents' return address, but it had my sister's handwriting... so before I even opened it, I was confused. Expecting a Thanksgiving card (which STILL hasn't come), I nearly fell down when I realized what it was. It was a Christmas card that read "Love ya, Sis." My sister sent me a card! *sigh* yeah, I'm getting choked up just thinking about it. I also got my 2010 calendar, complete with random pictures of friends. Pictures of everyone from family to best friends to people I haven't seen in a few years... I was very happy.

Then Matt reminded me that today was his 100-day (and my 101-day), so we went to the boys' apartment and made french toast... Hungarian style. White bread loaf, sliced, made into french toast by soaking in eggs and milk (sounds normal so far, right?)... then get this - add cheese and ketchup on top. Honestly, it's fínom (delicious). You should all make it for dinner tomorrow night. I'm going to suggest adding ham because it might add a great flavor, but I couldn't honestly tell you because i've not added ham myself, but I felt that was what it was lacking.

Anyway, now I'm home and about to throw on some Lost before passing out for a couple hours. 7a train tomorrow!

*~*~*

So, I've been talking about this magical Christmas market - and had yet to put any pictures up here. Well, here ya go.
These are performers doing some traditional Hungarian music and dance. They have different people performing all the time, so you never know what's going to be going on in the background of your shopping extravaganza.


the rest of these pictures are just random things - basically all you can see are these little wooden huts and a LOT of people. Oh, and a giant Christmas tree. I love going here - and it turns out that on Thursday next week, that's where we're celebrating Christmas with the ÖDÉ volunteers in Budapest. Forralt bor and kurtoskalács - yes.



No comments: