Saturday, December 12, 2009

H1N1?! Oh no!

Since I am at home and not traveling this weekend due to illness, I thought I would publicly answer a question I received in an email: how's the swine flu looking over here?

Well, just to make my mother's nerves calm down - I do NOT have the swine flu, but probably just a small influenza virus that has already shown improvement, so I'm drowning it and sleeping a lot (between going to the bathroom due to so much fluid!).

Anyway, back to the swine flu - For a while it was really threatening to only the rest of the world and seemed to have forgotten Hungary. I was not complaining. Then the Ukraine closed schools for three weeks. Then we heard that there is a vaccine available, but no one's getting it. Then 200 vaccination locations opened up throughout the country... Apparently there have been 25 deaths associated with the H1N1, and hundreds more hospitalizations, yet I only know one person to get the vaccine. Personally, I'm torn between getting it or not.
* Mostly because it can prove to be quite a hassle for non-EU citizens to get it in the EU. It's possible, but not always easy.
* It costs money and if you hadn't noticed, I'm on a tight budget (but I would pay for it if the next were true, no worries)
* No one has actually told me I should get it. I am only getting half the news because I can only read the English news - no Hugarians have actually told me "you should get the vaccine," so i figure it can't be that bad.
* However, I do live in a big city and work with kids. I share everything in my apartment and we don't exactly disinfect the place. (hah!) I also seem to have already developed this flu and i've always gotten the flu shot in the past and this will be the first time in a few years that my body hasn't had the extra boost of immunity...

Anyway, if anything further develops, I'll keep you posted.



In other news - in T-minus one week, I will have the apartment to myself. Next Friday, Kristy and I are going Christmas tree shopping and then decorating the apartment... then I'll start to put presents under the tree :P hehe - like i'll wrap up some coffee or bread that I bought and put it under so that on Christmas morning, I've got this amazing display of Christmas gifts :) HAHA!

*~*~*

So, I understand that I rarely post pictures of myself in the city. It happens when you're taking pictures. Anyway, these are to prove that I am actually in the city and not just stealiing pictures from someone else :P

This is standing along the Danube River. The bridge in the background is the chain bridge and the buidling with the dome is the National Gallery.


Also standing alongside the Danube, you can see Parliament and Margit bridge and some of the Buda Hills :)


This is in Freedom Square, checking out the US Embassy and the monument. You can see Parliament in the background.


And this is me overlooking my city from Gellert Hegy/Citadella - it's gotten a lot colder since the first three pictures were taken!

No comments: